Sunday 8 March 2020

BELIEF IN SELF: FUEL FOR HIGHER ORBITS



The Incident

It was just another day at the Institute where I was attending a training programme. Tea-break of the day provided welcome relief from intricacies associated with designing weapons. A group of young army officers visiting our institution were the guests for tea. As is the custom, few amongst us moved in to talk to the guests.

I stayed put with my thoughts.

I had this strange feeling that someone from that group was looking at me. As I panned the group, I found him and our eyes locked. The way he looked at me, it seemed he knew me well. I too felt, I had met him somewhere, but could not recollect. As the elder, I took the first few steps. He reciprocated, almost running towards me, stopped, gave me a smart salute right from his heart.

“Sir, you didn't recognise me.
I am Captain Vijay[1].
I was a vehicle mechanic in your unit.”

In a flash, everything fell in place.
The warmth of the hug that followed and the sheen of those stars on his shoulders remain one of the most rewarding moments of my life.

Where it all Started

I was barely four years into service. I had moved to the peace location after a high-altitude tenure. Having survived a very rough patch in my career right at the beginning, I had found time in high-altitude loneliness to dig deep into the reserves of self-belief. It helped me find peace within, rediscover and relaunch myself.

The first time I met Vijay was when he was brought to my office after he got into an argument with his senior. Even before he was brought in, I was told everything that others knew about him. Nobody liked him. Though very skilled at his job he was often found at the wrong side of things.

I am convinced that human beings act more from the domain of weakness and insecurity than from position of strength. Every act, spontaneous or contemplated, is intended to negate shortcomings perceived and internalised. It is the negatives in a person, not strength that dictate and establish behavioural patterns. Thus, when I come across someone with symptoms of arrogance, insubordination, inflated ego, or inefficiency, I deal with that person with compassion, unless that person I feel is irredeemable. It helps me understand him and handle situations better. For me it is always an effort to get the best out of that person. It has gifted me very satisfying and rewarding moments in life. I have seen lives saved from the brink, seen individuals triumph and families happy.

It took me a while to convince Vijay to take the chair and some efforts to make him talk. In the first few moments of interaction itself, I realised that I was talking to an intelligent, articulate and ambitious man who by some quirk of fate was stuck in a slot he detested. He was angry with himself for having enrolled as a soldier when he could have become an officer had he been advised correctly. He neither could get out nor was he comfortable in the place he found himself. He seemed angry with himself and the society. He felt caged. All his behavioural issues, I felt were driven by frustration. The long discussion ended with him becoming aware of the opportunities and his pledge to appear for the tests that allow soldiers to become officers. We were just in time and I could move his application.

Over the next few months we struggled with his preparations. He did a lot of mock tests. I also gave him interview practices. At times he would come to me for clarifying doubts. Most of the time he was upbeat, confident and hopeful. But there were times when he was unsure of the outcome and his own capabilities. He would hit lows immersed in self-doubts. I remember telling him that, if success was so impossible, no one would ever attempt to succeed. I would often tell him that even if he wanted, he couldn’t fail. Once he asked me, why I believed so much, in him. My reply to him was “I can see stars on your shoulders”.
While I was still in chair, he qualified the written examination. Shortly after that I moved out on transfer.

He cleared the interview and joined the military academy. Since world wasn’t as linked as it is now, we had lost contact. 

Eight years is neither  long time, nor short. 

I was standing face to face with a smart young officer, a responsible leader and gentlemen.

There are many capable individuals around us living entrapped in situations necessarily not of their own making. All of us come face to face with odds. But for some, self-doubts make it seem insurmountable. They need just one push. There are many around us looking for that one hand, that one word, to propel them to stardom, to chart their path. 

Most of them need nothing beyond reassurance in their own capabilities to fuel their quest to success. They just want to hear, “Yes; You can”.

It’s all about belief in self. Only when one is fuelled by self-belief, can one be launched into  higher orbits. 
Everyone needs it. 
Few find it on their own. 
Maybe, few amongst us can help others find it.

Post Script

The story is incomplete without mention of Late Colonel A N Deshpande, my mentor, a hard task master. He believed in me and my capabilities much more than I did. The trust and faith he reposed in me will put even the bravest gambler to shame. There were more seniors who trusted me with responsibilities beyond my age and charter. But all of them saw a self assured me. The one who really made me trust myself was Colonel Ashok Narayan Deshpande.

As a superior in chain, I repaid, reposing faith in each of my subordinate. NOT ONE has ever failed me.

As a trainer and facilitator, I help people trust themselves, explore and discover the vast reserves within.



[1] Name changed

31 comments:

  1. Sheetal Kapoor8 March 2020 at 07:39

    Very motivating and encouraging and an absolutely true account of how you dealt with your juniors, subordinates and colleagues around, for we have ourselves experienced your compassion and generosity Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professor, Thank you very much. i still remember your wholehearted support and untiring efforts to achieve what we set out to. Each step we took as a team paid us dividends. i am short of words to Thank you Dr Kapoor.

      Delete
  2. Very motivating anecdote. Lesson for all of us to look for positives and strengths in a person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 % thumbs to article by General Chacko. He reposed trust in me too as my senior heading a sister branch in westcom. And credit to him that i did well. Great respects for him. Regards
    Brigadier Advitya Madan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honoured General. overwhelmed and cant respond in words.

      Delete
  4. Very motivating article, Sir. It's a blessing to be able to perceive beyond what is normally seen. Am in gratitude of the Almighty that our paths have crossed and have had the opportunity to meet such a person...you are an inspiration to us, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheeba, you both have been a blessing to us too.
      Thank you very much.
      Honoured and grateful

      Delete
  5. Your role in the young man's journey is inspiring. Not everyone has patience or time to mentor others especially when they are busy with their own career and family commitments. Self belief is important, as is good will and selfless guidance from seniors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. If I do a tally of receipts and give outs, I think I received much more than I gave.

      Accumulated so much of good will and support I possibly cannot enumerate.

      The fact that I received overwhelming votes as the mentor without calling even once told me that I am being cared for, loved and carried.

      Life has been a book of receipts and receipts only.

      Thank you young lady.

      Delete
  6. You have been a role model to a many. It's rare to find individuals who can take a stand fearlessly. Venky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you venky. Every time i talk with you I feel supercharged.
    Thanks.
    Looking forward to meeting up with you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many of our men have it in them. What they require is some one who can spot the talent and ignite the fire. Unfortunately in the services,many of us do not or did not have the time to identify such peope. Glad you focussed on this. Great work friend. I belive the army now has a set up that identifies and nurtures such talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir. But it still remains individuality driven.
      Thank you very much.

      Delete
  9. Beautifully penned Sir..
    Veryvtrue. All they need is a push with compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb mentoring sir. Sharing with candidates in my Academy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautifully articulated a real life story sir, with a message that 'if you can believe , you will get'..A true leader can bring a positive change among the men being led..and you proved to be one such leader sir..
    Regards
    Lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often forget that while our way up the chain is fuelled by our abilities, it's oiled by the silent sweat of many colleagues. The leader is indebted to the led for leafership. Thanks a lot .

      Delete
  12. Written beautifully, as always, it's very refreshing to read such articles. It is the fruitful tree that bends, your modest interactions with juniors are exemplary of that. Sometimes a person's belief and positive aura can help us to liberate others and allow them to excel in their lives.

    Regards
    Lizy Johny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy. You are a very valued colleague. Though it's been 28 years since I moved on from your organisation, your contributions to my output and performance is still remembered.

      Delete
  13. A beautiful article. Its not at all easy to be a good mentor and you could exactly be that is something to be really proud of. I must say lucky are those whom you could motivate and inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully articulated and motivational article sir

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sir,
    Every word is Gospel;that is something I can vouch for,personally.
    Having been at the receiving end of your encouragement, probably the top 10 on your list of artifacts awaiting brasso,the story is very familiar of your style of interactions.
    You have had an extra yard more faith in my abilities than even I myself.
    Awaiting your next dive to fetch the next Pearl from the oysters of Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have been a team. we went through some tough times together . thank you

      Delete
  16. Sir this is a very well written article. You have a gift for discussing your life instances in truthful yet amusing ways. It seems I can always identify experiences in my own life be it My personal or the Profession that we so dearly share, with those you describe. Your articles help us realize that our problems are typical, and we can solve them in constructive ways.

    Sir I would like to Thank you and please keep these good articles coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully articulated as always. It was an honour to have served with you.
      Warm regards
      Kaushik

      Delete

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT