Beyond the Broken Egg
Beyond the Defeated Egg
The mobile rang. It was
Colonel Biju Thomas (Retd), a friend, colleague, and former school junior. He
asked if I was joining my schoolmates' Onam celebrations. I had seen messages
on the WhatsApp group about the celebration. I was not keen because I had other
things to do. When he insisted, I relented. As the date approached,
messages about the function started pouring in. One such message was from
Captain Ramesh Babu (Retd), a former Indian Navy officer and one of the
organisers of the function. He wanted people to bring along anything that would
rekindle memories of our school days.
On the appointed day, there
were about 90 people, against the fifty the organisers had initially struggled
to put together. The excited conversations, part of the Meeting and
Greeting, filled the room. As always, such interactions eventually
gravitate towards groups of classmates and batchmates.
When Ramesh Babu announced it
was time to place what we had brought along on the table, very few of us moved.
Sports banians, a school belt, autographs, a coconut and a jackfruit found
their way onto the table. I placed a boiled egg on the table. Among the
impressive collection of school memorabilia, my boiled egg looked ridiculous. I
also knew that an insignificant, fragile egg would not be the winner. But I was
not there to win. That fragile-looking egg carried a memory that had survived
for more than five decades, and it had to find a place. The egg fight we
engaged in at school had, in its unique way, prepared me for life ahead.
I wanted someone to ask, “Why a boiled egg?”
Nobody asked! But, like the
ancient mariner, I must tell you the story.
I had never encountered egg
fighting anywhere outside our school. But after reading up, I realised the game
is played in several parts of the world. I do not know how it reached our
school, but we were playing it way back in the early 1970s. The game is simple.
Two players take a hard-boiled egg each and tap the pointed ends of the eggs
against each other. The person whose egg cracks loses. The winner stays on to
fight another egg. The egg that survives the most challenges is declared the
winner. In the initial days, the game was benign fun. There was nothing to
lose. But soon, an enterprising boy changed the nature of the game. While the
no-stakes game continued, a new version for the not-so-faint-hearted evolved.
Here, the loser lost the egg, and the winner took it.
We were served boiled eggs
once or twice a week. On those days, the school mess dining hall became the
Colosseum. The chatter of over 500 boys noisily eating made the hall resemble
the ancient Flavian Amphitheatre. Hungry boys armed with boiled eggs became
gladiators. For a child in a residential school, losing an egg is not a small
loss. Yet many of us egg-fought. Some won and some lost. As far as
I remember, I lost most of the time. Initially, I blamed the eggs I got. When I
was done blaming everything else, I watched the winner and realised that my
technique was the problem. I tried to correct it. I fought with and without
stakes. After losing a few eggs, I stopped playing. Some winners amassed so
many eggs that they couldn't consume them that day. Slowly, the craze faded out
as we took to more physically challenging games.
The lessons I learnt from egg
fighting in school stayed with me and, in many ways, influenced how I
approached my career. I was always aware that every conflict and confrontation
had stakes. I could either win or lose, and when I lost, I understood that my
handling of the conflict had contributed to my defeat. I realised it is
important to take risks, but one needs to be realistic when evaluating one’s
chances. There are times when one has to engage, but one must always bear in
mind that it is equally important to retreat before losses become irrevocable.
It is foolish to remain invested in reinforcing failure. There is always a
tomorrow, a better chance, and a better method. Risk-taking is not gambling. A
gamble is a risk taken without adequate assessment, hoping the dice will roll
in our favour. Occasionally, the dice do roll in our favour, but mistaking that
for deserved success is foolhardy.
Often, we normally attribute
our failures to our opponents, competitors, and even adversity itself. It is
difficult for us to look within and find the flaws. Often the adversity itself
would have been brought upon us by our own actions. The lesson applies
everywhere: career, relationships, business, sport and home. Retreating from
failure is not necessarily giving up. It is recognising that continuing to
reinforce failure is irrational. Repeated failure should call for deep
introspection before attributing the reasons to somebody else. If our actions
are led by ego, we tend to justify past losses and continue our march towards
future losses.
The most powerful lesson of
all still came from the egg on the table during the Onam celebration. There was
no egg fighting that day. The lesson came from my boiled egg, lying
inconsequentially on the table, yet silently fighting for relevance. Our story,
our rationale, our aspirations, our justifications are only ours. They may not
matter to others at all. But whether they matter to others or not, if they
matter to you, they are important.


Great recollect of a story from life at school, linking it to human attributes and qualities, Sir. You should follow this up with the story of that long standing winner and his Master Egg.
ReplyDeleteYes. I would have loved to. But, may his soul rest in peace.
DeleteThe classic strategy
ReplyDeletePointed end of your egg → broad end of opponent's egg.
If both players know this trick, the game becomes a contest of egg selection, angle, shell strength and luck.
And remember the golden rule of the Egg War:
Never volunteer your broad end for inspection! 😂🥚
It is an AI comment
Jagajeeve, Pala
Give broad shoulders not side
DeleteLessons of life learnt sensibly,in this case. Kudos to the write-up--- a lot to learn therefrom 👍👍 C S Nair
ReplyDeleteThank you very much.
Delete👏👏👏👏👏
ReplyDeleteYou possess a rare gift for transforming the most innocuous incident into a compelling narrative, and then distilling from it profound lessons on life. That ability to find wisdom in the ordinary is truly remarkable. Kudos to you!
Thank you very much.
DeleteMemories still intact as hard coded into the chip👏👏👏👏 A great read for the day😊😊😊
ReplyDeleteThank you very much
Delete✨✨✨✨✨✨
ReplyDeleteWe keep learning from small experiences . Collectively it results in maturity acquired over a period of time. But only if kept your eyes and ears open to learn from it. We can now sit back and recollect and share those for fun. As usual Great reading and looking forward for more
ReplyDeleteRaju
Yes. Life looking forward is creating stories and looking back is story written.
DeleteA simple boiled egg, yet such profound lessons on life, failure and resilience. Beautifully told, Jacob...."Truth indeed lies beyond the obvious!'
ReplyDeleteSimple things often speak big things.
DeleteSir, definitely there is always a tomorrow, a better chance and a better method. A well narrated story of boiled egg fighting. Lot of lessons merged. If you get another chance , be prepared with an egg made of plaster of Paris 😂😀
ReplyDeleteTo be well informed is well armed. Thanks a ton.
DeleteVery nicely articulated and the lessons brought out good for any generation.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot.
DeleteGreat observation. Great leaning and its implementation in life .
ReplyDeleteThank you very much
DeleteSir...Great piece of writing, philosophical too.. Enjoyed reading the piece..👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
ReplyDeleteBeing part of the same crowd that afternoon, one did think about asking u, the idea behind bringing along the boiled egg along. Then, the most mundane answer occured within, for, it was in sainik school, most of us were forced to 'like' the boiled egg, something which our parents never succeeded in. 'Egg eating' with a certain strict regularity, thus became part of life, which as army personnel, we continued to adhere to. Some time in the early 90's, eggs were declared the villan in the cholestrol story of our senior officers, but, thankfully, when we reached their age, eggs were exornated and we still go on with the physician's full support for it.
Looking forward for more such great thoughts which help kindle mundane minds..
Maybe nobody noticing is what I noticed. Hence the final lesson. Thanks a tonne .
DeleteJai Hind Sir
ReplyDeleteFirst of all had no idea this kind of game even existed, wished we too had this in our school up in North, we were just restricted to pen fights. Sir, as always it is a treat to read your blog. The story though simple has a plethora of takeaways.
Regards
Nagesh
Pen was always mightier than sword. Obviously better than eggs, unless pens were physically used. Thanks a lot.
DeleteSir, your recollection of memories in this article was beautiful and deeply meaningful. The most valuable lesson I took away was that “every conflict and confrontation had stakes.” It reminded me that every attempt, whether successful or not, gives us an opportunity to learn something new, improve our efforts, and take another step toward success.
ReplyDeleteIn that sense, failures can be a blessing when they teach us valuable lessons and help us grow. Ultimately, what matters is not simply whether we succeed or fail, but whether we learn from each experience, continue to improve, and keep moving forward.
Thank you for sharing such a thoughtful and inspiring reflection.
Thanks a lot. Failures are failures, however we try and couch it. Big or small, failure is painful.
DeleteHow we handle is our decision alone.,