Ajagalakundalam - A Choice of Substance
Travelling is an exciting way to meet new people and learn new things. It was the second day of our tour in Vietnam. Having travelled together before, a few in the group were already bonding better than we were. The others, like me, were still trying to overcome our initial reservations and connect. Nevertheless, the group had started mingling a little more than before. We were also smiling at each other. Someone passed a packet of nuts from the back of the bus, and we were okay with taking some out of it. The group was slowly gelling into a friendly band. Mr Jeeson Jose, the tour manager, was finding it easier to get people to come to the front and use the bus mic as we travelled from one destination to another. Chachan was at the mic.
“Can anyone tell us the
meaning of Ajagalakundalam (അജഗള കുണ്ഡലം)?” he
asked. This was at the end of the “Chachan, Thottu Makkale[i]”
introduction.
I had never heard about Ajagalakundalam.
I was still trying to figure out what the word was when someone from behind
said, “Aja in Sanskrit means goat, and gala means neck. Kundalam
in Sanskrit means an earring.”
What could be an earring doing
on a goat’s neck? I thought.
While I was still guessing, Chachan chipped in, “It is the tuft of hair hanging from the goat's neck.” He had been an award-winning farmer, so I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Ajagalakundalam, after all, was a high-sounding name for a goat’s beard. In reality, not much is known about it beyond its hanging around to be seen.
Chachan, a man with immense practical knowledge and life experience, had more to offer.
“Many people we come across are like Ajagalakundalam. They only mark their presence and apparently do nothing beyond that. It is up to us to decide to be an Ajagalakundalam or go beyond that,” he said, concluding his first of the many talks.
Everyone
clapped as Chachan returned to his seat.
Later that night, reading up on the subject, I stumbled upon another equally interesting word, Ajagalastanam
(അജഗളസ്തനം).
Stana (स्तन, സ്തനം) in
Sanskrit means breast, and in animals it refers to the udder or teat. Ajagalastanam is the fleshy appendage hanging under the goat's
throat. Called a wattle, it too seems to serve little beyond just being
there.
Lying in bed, with sleep
playing hide and seek with me, I realised there was more to the two
strange-sounding words that essentially meant insignificant or useless existence.
We come across very visible people who make noise, look promising, yet deliver nothing when required.
They are there just to be seen and demand attention. On the other hand, there
are people who, despite their insignificant visibility, are significant by
their contribution. One doesn't have to be in any powerful position to be more
than useful. A doorman who smiles or a waiter serving and making you feel good
makes life beautiful. There are people who, by their very presence, give you
the confidence required. Some teachers, parents, friends, and even strangers
can make a difference, while others in the same category can be present yet add
no value. I have come across both varieties. Even on this very tour, there were
people who came in with help on many occasions, when they could have easily
looked the other way. I looked back in life and recognised many an Ajagalakundalam.
It was easy to look at others
and judge. I began to wonder how many of us, in our own ways, are merely
hanging around in the lives of others. We might have occupied seats of
authority, chaired meetings, joined conversations, spent a lifetime working. We
were physically there, but did our presence really make any difference?
Then out of nowhere, the
spotlight turned on me. It always happens to me. Am I an Ajagalakundalam
or Ajagalasthanam? Have I made a difference to others, or have I merely
been a filler, a space stealer?
To claim that I made a difference to everyone I met or interacted with will be preposterous. To many, I would have been nothing beyond an Ajagalakundalam or Ajagalasthanam or both combined. That is for them to judge.
Did I try to be of any use? That, I will have to
answer my conscience.
But one thing became certain. I was looking at life differently. I suddenly started seeing and appreciating people a little more. The fried cricket and worm that were offered, a helping hand, a “How is she now?”, a pinch of dried fenugreek, a gesture of concern, a tap on the shoulder, a packet of biscuits passed on; everything was falling into place and meaning much beyond what was apparent. Each act had taken people beyond being Ajagalakundalams. Perhaps the real measure of a life is not which and how much space we occupied, but how much meaning we left behind. Chachan’s words now assume a different meaning.
We could choose to matter or
choose to be mere matter. The choice is ours. Two apparently meaningless
appendages had suddenly acquired a meaning far beyond themselves. Perhaps that
is what words and experiences do to us: they make us look at ordinary things
differently. That was one great takeaway from Vietnam.
Some more from Vietnam and Cambodia in the pipeline...
[i] Read my previous blog, Chachan, Thottu Makkale
Picture ChatGpt generated



Thought provoking!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot
DeleteGood one General Saab
DeleteThank you very much
DeleteInteresting words,had never heard of them before.But the self introspection had started a few years ago, when I had started learning Reiki.From being a person with absolutely no self worth,I have reached a stage where I know I am on this planet for a reason,but am I an Ajagalakundalam or ajagalasthanam,mmmm,need to ponder.Thank you Gen Chacko for new learnings.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nisha ji
DeleteExcellent delineation of two profound concepts. You owe it to your unassuming tour manager who identified himself more as the ajagalasthanam. God bless
ReplyDeleteHe was far beyond that.
DeleteSir, you have a way with the words and this piece is a testimony. Enjoyed reading and learnt something new. Looking forward for more.
ReplyDeleteThanks a tonne
DeleteYou have given MATTER a new way to look at . Appreciate your sensitivity to what is happening around. It gives meaning to to lot around us.
ReplyDeleteRaju
Life is an interesting journey, if we keep our heart and eyes open
DeleteNice One Sir 👌
ReplyDeleteThank you very much
DeleteJacob, I met you hardly 2 weeks ago. And even with this brief encounter, I can vouchsay that you are far beyond " an Ajagalakundalam or Ajagalasthanam ". It's intrinsic ; one can't mimic it!
ReplyDeleteThanks a tonne.
DeleteYou are being kind